Garmin Connect Import Issue

General discussions for all things rubiTrack in English.
Paulchen4711

Garmin Connect Import Issue

Post by Paulchen4711 »

Hi everyone,

I'm using the new Garmin Forerunner 620 which connects to "Garmin connect" automatically in order to synchronize exercise-data. Today I did a marathon and the Forerunner copied the data to "Garmin connect" correctly. However, when using RubiTrack and importing data from there the exercise was shortened by 4 km and 23 min. As written, in "Garmin connect" everything looks fine but in Rubi Track something is missing.

Any ideas how to solve this?

Thanks, Paulchen.
mspoettl

Re: Garmin Connect Import Issue

Post by mspoettl »

Hello,

did your device have reception problems, so the recorded track may have cut a loop short? Also, what happens if you import the FIT file from the device directly? Thirdly, try turning on "Original Device Data" for that activity and see if that changes anything.

Regards
Markus
Paulchen4711

Post by Paulchen4711 »

Hi,

thanks for swift reply. I found out that apparently the forerunner lost connection to the GPS after 36 km. This then maybe misled rubiTrack to assume the exercise is over. However, as the forerunner has an integrated motion-sensor that continues to calculate speed / distance in case GPS-signaling is lost rubiTrack should the use this data as well and not stop.

I'll try the other was to synch within the next days an will post results here.

BR Paulchen

P.S.: Seems that a lot of people have GPS-issues with the forerunner 620 and that we all are kind of beta-testers. Am not very happy with that.
bscardin

Post by bscardin »

I am having the same issues with my 620 data. I have used it 4 times so far and each time the distance is about 10% shorter in rubiTrack than it is in the watch (and on Garmin Connect). When I select "use device data" then the distance in rubiTrack match the watch. For example I did a 19.33 mile run and rubitrack listed it as 17.98 miles. I did stop and start the watch a few times (I was in San Diego sight seeing a bit) but the same thing happened on other runs where I did not stop.

I've uploaded two FIT files if that helps:

https://drive.google.com/folderview?id= ... sp=sharing

The 3CT71305.FIT is the 19.33 (17.98) mile run. The 41273547.FIT is a 6.00 (5.62) mile run.

Before I got the 620 I was using a 410 and never had any discrepancy over 0.05 miles. This is quite a bit larger to say the least!
mspoettl

Post by mspoettl »

That's quite a discrepancy.

I guess one way to see who's fault it really is would be taking another device alongside the 620 when going on the next run. If the 620 is right, the distances should match with the other device. Another way would be doing a route where you know the exact distance.

rubiTrack's coordinate distance calculation is fairly accurate (in the mm range). Either the coordinates are off - which by the look of your track isn't the case - or the 620 doesn't get its stuff right.

Regards
Markus
bscardin

Post by bscardin »

My plan was to take the 410 out on my next run to see how they compare. It is pretty odd. Like you said the coordinates seem pretty close looking at the map but the distance is strange.
bscardin

Post by bscardin »

I have done more testing with this and it definitely seems related to the foot pod. It seems that in the Garmin 620 2.30 software the foot pod is the sole source of distance and pace information even if there is GPS signal. Also, I had not calibrated my foot pod for this watch. My 410 had a calibration factor of 940 so I set the new watch to 94.0 (the new one has 100.0 as the default rather than 1000). After doing that I did some runs on the treadmill and they were very close.

This morning I did a 18 mile run without the foot pod and the watch said 18.08 and rubiTrack said 18.02. Definitely within the normal variations here.

I did contact Garmin about this and their recommendation for 620 users right now is to NOT use the foot pod at all. They are aware of some issues that they will hopefully be fixing soon. In fact I think there was a software update released just this morning though I haven't looked at it yet.
mspoettl

Post by mspoettl »

Thanks for the detailed description!

Regards
Markus