rubiTrack 6 is now available!

General discussions for all things rubiTrack in English.
amy26point2

Re: rubiTrack 6 is now available!

Post by amy26point2 »

Without being a subscriber, how is it possible to open and view activities? I've imported my data from version 5 pro, and all I am able to see is the map view with the number of activities in each location. Can we not drill into the individual activities? Is there a comparison of features available for a subscriber vs. non-subscriber? Thanks!
mspoettl

Post by mspoettl »

Hello,

if the app is not subscribed, the map view is all that is available on the Mac. You can continue to collect data via device and file import, sync with the iPhone, import from Health App on the iPhone, view the basic activity collection and record activities.

Best Regards
Markus
sathomasga

Post by sathomasga »

pngscuba wrote: Thu Aug 12, 2021 12:48 am I have seen nothing that justifies the move to a subscription model. No cloud sync, no server side needs, etc. that are the common excuse for moving to a subscription model.
I think this is more or less accurate, though there is always the cost of ongoing support. For example, the Rubitrack team will undoubtedly have to expend some effort to support macOS Monterey and then more work to support its successor. And new versions of iOS will also require development and testing. Heck, hosting this bulletin board is not (afaik) without some cost.

I also understand that something feels different about a subscription-based product. But fundamentally I'm not so sure that there's much of a practical difference. Prior to RT6, most users paid for an app upgrade with each new release. Now we're (potentially) paying an annual fee. There may be some difference in the timing (e.g. app upgrades may not happen at exactly 12-month intervals), and a subscription may be stickier. It's opt-out, after all, while paid upgrades are opt-in.

The only significant difference I can think of is if a user chooses to no longer upgrade/subscribe. In the case of an upgrade, that user can continue using the older version for some period of time. Not indefinitely, though, as OS versions and frameworks eventually become obsolete and are no longer supported. If a user chooses not to re-subscribe, however, the app ceases to function immediately. Some vendors have addressed this issue by allowing lapsed subscriptions to continue to function but only get bug fix updates. Only active subscribers get new features. Sketch was the first app that I know of to adopt this approach, but there may have been others before it. It's not clear to me if that is Rubitrack's policy, or even if the Mac App Store model can support it. But I do think it's the fairest approach.
mspoettl

Post by mspoettl »

Thanks for the constructive input! We have an idea on how to address the lost-data problem. There will be no change to the subscription, it is a necessity to keep rubiTrack running, but we will work on a less basic base-mode that allows for access to all activities. Details will be announced when it is ready.

Best Regards
Markus
pngscuba

Post by pngscuba »

Markus,

I realize you have a 7 day preview, but that doesn't seem like much to test out the new version. As noted in this forum, the current Mac OS version is dead out of the gate without a trial. I appreciate that you need some way to insure the future of your app, which I have used for years and paid for every upgrade. And I appreciate you made it universal across the Apple platforms! But what I would like to see is some agreement between developer and subscriber to make the subscription make sense. I have several "subscription" apps that essentially stopped development once they were on subscription or increased the subscription price every time a new feature was introduced.

I would like to see a roadmap for future development so I can feel like I am paying for something besides a forum. I have many paid apps that do not upgrade when the OS upgrades, at least not quickly or timely. And I would like to to see improvements in sync (the addition of iCloud for example, which overcomes the DropBox issues you note in the FAQ), improvements in the sync with Health, a return of the iPad version, and better identification of activities. But none of these are listed as benefits of version 6.

What are you focused on? The upgrades in version 6 seem rather minimal without the ability to really test. I really like this app and want to support, but I need more than "we switched to a subscription mode and made the main app brain dead."
SteveKN

Post by SteveKN »

i've just downloaded the app on my Mac
can't immediately see any difference to my version 5.
( sync sunk my Strava and apple watch workouts, ( via my iPhone SE, I had to run that sync several times as it kept freezing) many are the same. is there a duplicated workout /activity remover? )

Have you a list of the extras that 6 gives me over 5 ?

Thanks Steve
sathomasga

Post by sathomasga »

I think the changes from version 5 are spelled out here: https://www.rubitrack.com/version6.html
wunnspeed

Post by wunnspeed »

Congrats on the new version.

I've been an avid and happy user since v3. Sadly, with the move to the subscription model and the seeming lack of upgrade pricing to even the non-subscription version, this will probably be the end of my ride with Rubitrack. It's a very cool product and I've recommended it to many people over the years. About all I can say is, good luck.
mercaders20

Post by mercaders20 »

Hi! I'm a user of rubitrack and have been for the last 10 years upgrading through the different versions (bought v.2 in January 2011).
Unfortunately, v.5 is going to be the last one for me. I haven't minded upgrading through the versions but I'm not a fan of the subscription model, in particular I don't like having to pay a monthly / yearly fee for some features that I've already paid for in v.5.

I liked rubitrack v.5 as an alternative to all the subscription-based cloud-based solutions like Strava. I pay already for Strava for its user base and social features, I wouldn't see the added value of adding rubitrack as a subscription.

I guess I'll use rubitrack v.5 until garmin connect sync breaks and does not get fixed when support for v.5 ends (if it hasn't already).

thanks for all the work so far and all the best for the future! (I mean it, it is a good software)
mspoettl

Post by mspoettl »

I'd recommend reading viewtopic.php?f=2&t=3499

I feel like all there is to say has been said and ignored already.

Markus