Improvements to Map Navigation/Interaction

Feature and enhancement requests.
ulizett

Improvements to Map Navigation/Interaction

Post by ulizett » Tue Mar 21, 2017 7:38 am

Hi,

I am a new to rubiTrack, so maybe I am just missing features that are already there, but I am missing a few little things:

* an easy way to zoom into the map with the mouse, e.g. Ctrl-Scroll Wheel
* a keyboard-shortcut for "Zoom Map to selected activity" (I prefer to keep the "Auto" Setting in prefs off)
* A context-menu entry in the graphs for "zoom map to selected range"
* and maybe the feature from #1 could be used to zoom into the graphs too

As I said, maybe there are already similar features - I would be happy if someone points me to them, otherwise I would appreciate if they could be considered as a feature request,

Thanks, Uli

mspoettl

Re: Improvements to Map Navigation/Interaction

Post by mspoettl » Wed Mar 22, 2017 8:20 am

Hello,

we will look into the other requests but one thing you can do already is use the scroll-wheel to zoom. This works both in the map and in the chart.

Regards
Markus

ulizett

Post by ulizett » Wed Mar 22, 2017 7:17 pm

Hi Markus,

I just checked - it does zoom with a "normal" mouse, the Apple "Magic Mouse" moves the Map content (as expected) without the ability to zoom. (neither map nor chart)

Best Regards, Uli

mspoettl

Post by mspoettl » Wed Mar 22, 2017 9:19 pm

Hi Uli,

doesn't the Magic Mouse have a touch area where you can use gestures? If so, try pinch zooming like on a track pad. If I recall correctly, this thing also comes with a gazillion of options, so maybe you have disabled one that emulates the scroll wheel (not sure if it exists, though).

As you may have guessed, I don't have one here the thought of having to use one of these me shiver. It's really the worst pointing device ever let loose on mankind ;)

Best Regards
Markus

ulizett

Post by ulizett » Fri Mar 24, 2017 7:56 pm

Hi Markus,

The pointing device delivered as standard with every Mac has lost it's zoom gestures a while ago (I think 10.9 or so). By default, touching and moving its surface with one finger creates -scrollWheel: events (like touching and moving the surface of a trackpad with two fingers)

rubiTrack seems to distinguish between mice and trackpads. It seems, Magic Mouse events are handled like Trackpad events (which is perfect for moving the content) but there is no zoom gesture available.

The Apple Maps app also allows moving the content by 'scrolling' (either trackpad or Magic Mouse) and zooming by "Shift-Scrolling"

I hope that cleared things a little bit.

Thank's for listening & Best Regards,

Uli

mspoettl

Post by mspoettl » Fri Mar 24, 2017 9:07 pm

Hi Uli,

the map view responds to -scrollWheel: and -magnifyWithEvent: events. Looking at the code it looks like something must be delivered differently from "normal" scroll wheels, might be an easy fix. If you want to try out a test version which might fix this, feel free to send a message to support@rubi…

Best Regards
Markus

mspoettl

Post by mspoettl » Sat Mar 25, 2017 4:38 pm

Hi again,

turns out everything works as expected, including scrolling. Sorry for the confusion, it's been some time since I worked on that particular part. All you need to make sure is that the scrolling setting in the accessibility system settings for the mouse are turned on. Scrolling on the Magic Mouse scrolls the map in both x and y dimensions. Scrolling on the Magic Mouse is not supposed to zoom, but you can easily double click whenever you want to zoom in. We'll look into adding a modifier option for zooming, though.

Regards
Markus