Trimp calculation method

General discussions for all things rubiTrack in English.
olivier.morel

Trimp calculation method

Post by olivier.morel »

I am new to RT4 and I am looking forward to use Trimp to measure exercises impact while using an HR monitor.
I spend time reading this:
http://fellrnr.com/wiki/TRIMP

I'd like to understand which TRIMP approach is used by RT to calculate values ? I thought it was the Trimp exponentional method using avg HR for the entire duration of the workout but when I calculate myself with excel I found different values.

Thank you for your help!

mspoettl

Re: Trimp calculation method

Post by mspoettl »

Hi,

rubiTrack uses exponential Trimp (as discussed by Fellrnr) by calculating the sum of all point-to-point Trimp values.

Regards
Markus

olivier.morel

Post by olivier.morel »

Thanks Markus

In order to calculate Training Load metrics using Trimp, my understanding is I need a trimp value generated by RT (based on HR data), or a trimp value entered manually (for swimming for ex I intend to use the normalized trimp method ie Trimp CR10 x 0.436 described by Fellrnr) for all recorded activities. Trimp must also be selected in the activity type management screen as intensity calculation method. So far so good for me. Last step, if I am correct I need a Threshold Trimp value in the Athlete log and here I have no idea what value to enter. Is it mandatory to perform a lab test for this value ?

Thank you!

olivier.morel

Post by olivier.morel »

Another question regarding TSS, Trimp and Swimming. I entred a Trimp value manually (no HR data) and went to options > recalculate but despite having Trimp selected as Intensity method in the activity management panel, Training Intensity and TSS are not calculated (and there is a Threshold Trimp value in the Athlete log).

Is it normal ? I would expect TSS is calculated even if there is no HR data as long a Trimp value exists (doesn't matter if it is entered manually or automatically).

Thanks again

mspoettl

Post by mspoettl »

Hello,

because the calculation of Trimp requires heart rate track data, the current setup is such that training stress is not calculated if no track data is available. That's why it doesn't work by entering Trimp manually. We'll take a look at whether this can be changed in the future.

Regards
Markus